Facility :MCKINNEY PLACE
Status :RELIEF FULL TIME
We have a temporary, full time opportunity in Oliver, BC. With a population of approximately 4,400 this unique town is known for its viable fruit-growing region. Surrounded by vineyards and dozens of wineries this town is noted for the semi-arid climate. The area’s lush orchards produce a host of tree fruits including peaches, cherries and apples. With its river, small lake, mountains and dry antelope brush and sage grasslands, Oliver provides many opportunities for outdoor recreation as well as bird watching and wildlife viewing. Oliver also offers a selection of historic and cultural attractions and it makes an excellent base for country driving excursions. Oliver is the perfect place to unwind, relax and bite into fresh, West Coast food.
This position captures a Residential care focus by covering Sunnybank Retirement Centre (51 beds including dementia secured area) and McKinney Place Extended Care (75 beds). In addition therapy services are to be covered in the South Okanagan General Hospital, a Community based hospital consisting of 18 Acute care beds. A Community Care portion is also a requirement of this position. In accordance with the standards of professional practice and code of ethics as outlined by the College of Occupational Therapists of British Columbia (COTBC), the Occupational Therapist works independently and collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary rehabilitation team providing services including assessment, treatment planning and implementation, program planning, consultation, equipment prescription and education of residents/clients/patients (‘the client’) and/or their caregivers to promote functional independence and enable the client to achieve and maintain optimal health outcomes.
This position is to provide coverage until October 2020, or return of incumbent. Work schedule is Monday to Friday Days with weekends and statutory holidays off. Travel is involved in this role to outlying areas to provide clinical services to clients in their homes. A valid BC Driver’s License is necessary. Access to a personal vehicle may be required.
If you are motivated to be challenged professionally, this is the move for you. We offer excellent benefits and opportunities to maximize your skills.
Education, Training and Experience:
• Graduation from a recognized occupational therapy program.
• Current registration with the College of Occupational Therapists of British Columbia (COTBC).
• Eligible for membership in the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists or British Columbia Society of Occupational Therapists.
• Valid BC Driver’s license.
Skills and Abilities:
• Teaching: Ability to teach clients and others both one-on-one and in groups.
• Knowledge Integration: Integrates best practice and current research evidence to support professional practice decisions and actions.
• Communication: Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with clients, families, the public, medical staff and the members of the interdisciplinary team using, oral written and computer communication means. Demonstrated ability to effectively resolve conflict.
• Critical Thinking: Demonstrated ability to integrate and evaluate pertinent data (from multiple sources) to problem-solve and make decisions effectively. Applies the problem solving process demonstrating critical thinking and decision making skills using a systems approach.
• Management: Demonstrated ability to organize work, set objectives and establish priorities. Manages time and resources, implements activities to promote cooperation among the interdisciplinary team, supervises responsibilities of others, and collaborates across disciplines.
• Leadership: Promotes staff morale, engagement, and risk-taking. Demonstrates creative planning for change and innovations, implementation of IH policies or other protocols, and ongoing professional development of self and others.
• Teamwork: Demonstrated ability to foster teamwork and a commitment to excellence in the provision of client care.
• Equipment: Demonstrated computer skills including the use of Meditech and Windows based programs. Demonstrated data analysis skills including appropriate data analysis and reporting tools. Demonstrated ability in the use of e-mail and word processing. Ability to operate other related equipment as required in the specific practice area.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.