Job Title: Venue Coordinator at the SS Sicamous, Penticton
This is a 13 month maternity-leave position. Anticipated start date in late February 2017.
Wage & Hours: $16 per hour, from 24 to 32 hours per week. Occasional late evenings will be required. Applicant must be able to work Saturdays.
This newly created position contributes to the objectives of the SS Sicamous Museum by overseeing day to day opening and operations on board the ship: including grant applications, staffing, volunteers and coordinating weddings and private events. The Venue Coordinator reports directly to the Operations manager, and the Board of Directors.
About the Museum
The S.S. Sicamous is the largest surviving stern wheeler in Canada. Today it is preserved as a museum, historic site and wedding venue. The ship is operated by a non-profit organization called the S.S. Sicamous Society. We are open to the public in the spring, summer and autumn, while restoration work takes place year round 🙂
Duties and Responsibilities
Staff and Admissions
• Oversee interviewing, hiring and training of summer staff and volunteers
• Help supervise day to day activities of summer staff and volunteers
• Coordinate the staff and volunteer schedule. Generally do your best to ensure that operations run smoothly.
Weddings, Events and Communications
• Look after emails and enquiries (especially rentals).
• Guide prospective clients around the ship, and communicate with stakeholders in the run up to an event. Ensure invoices are sent, and payment received.
• Position is responsible for promoting the SS Sicamous as a Wedding venue (by maintaining and improving the website, reputation management, social media and online listings).
• Oversee and instruct staff in setting up the venue ahead of events,
• Look after the event, guests and clients from setting up to close.
• Help with partner events such as the Christmas Market and the Annual Easter Hunt.
• Oversee smaller in-house events, such as the volunteer Christmas party, and any informal receptions that may be needed.
Grants and Financial – Position is responsible for submitting grant and funding applications on behalf of the SS Sicamous Society. Applicant must ensure that all deadlines and reporting requirements are met.
• Experience with managing events, especially weddings and fundraising events.
• Experience with submitting successful grant applications.
• Willing to learn basic website skills, using WordPress Platform (training will be provided).
• Excellent written communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills and experience with managing staff and volunteers.
• Ability to prioritize as needed, and work with minimal supervision.
At least 2 to 5 years of experience in a similar role. A post-secondary degree in a field relating to history, museums or tourism would be an asset.
The work environment is relaxed, and hours are flexible (as long as you can work Saturdays). You will be working with a team of volunteers from a range of different backgrounds, and summer students too. This is an enjoyable and unique place to work, with opportunities for developing your skills, and learning new ones 🙂 There is some funding set aside for training too.