Please note that the city advertised is not necessarily where you will be located.
We, The North West Company (NWC), are hiring Department Managers for our variety of departments in our Northern and NorthMart stores.
We’re looking for talented candidates for the following departments:
- General Merchandise
- Food Service
- Financial Services
Ready to embrace your direction? Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture. You must be able to re-locate to remote regions in Northern Canada. You receive benefits such as subsidized housing and food allowance, paid vacation travel, bonus and profit sharing opportunities, ability to bank what you earn and more! We even have, and encourage, employment opportunities for spouses.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighbourhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Go North.
- Ensure displays are per marketing plan-o-grams;
- Supervise and train staff, and schedule staff as required;
- Ensure produce is presented to achieve maximum sales/ profits and follow correct stock rotation;
- Responsible to achieve budget sales and gross margin;
- Ensure Department is ready for business according to the needs of target customers, and departmental readiness is maintained throughout the day, including the availability of “always in stock” items;
- Control inventory level by ordering product weekly;
- Ensure seasonal and promotional merchandising is planned and executed to achieve maximum sales, profits, and customer excitement;
- Maintain efficiency and growth of the Department through pro-active planning;
- Participate in advertising campaigns and strategies; and
- Ensure gross profit is monitored and variances are investigated and addressed.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- A minimum of 2-3 years of leadership experience overseeing a team, in a retail environment;
- Able to plan and direct business operations and solve business-related problems;
- Able to effectively communicate with customers to get the right products in their hands, and able to address any concerns or inquiries;
- Highly motivated and appreciate small-town life in a culturally diverse setting;
- Budget and goal-oriented to achieve sales’ goals and strict control of wage costs;
- Ability to work independently and as a team;
- Able to build strong relationships and trust with your customers and all stakeholders;
- Successful experience managing inventory, profit margins, and labour budgets;
- Ability to read and prepare reports and business communications;
- Clear and effective communicator with strongly demonstrated merchandising skills;
- Demonstrated ability to mentor others;
- Highly motivated with a passion to bring our communities products and services to live better;
- Know the costs of goods;
- Understand how to schedule labour to meet the needs of the department;
- Strong organizational skills with a demonstrated passion for retail
Positions will be advertised externally; however internal candidates will receive first consideration based on qualifications. NWC employees are encouraged to bring forward applications of external candidates that meet the qualifications of this position.
NOTE: If an existing employee is selected for a posted position they will be required to remain in that position a minimum of one year prior to applying for other posted positions unless authorized by their current supervisor. New employees to the company must also remain in their position a minimum of one year prior to applying for posted positions unless authorized by their supervisor.
A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.