We are seeking a Building Maintenance Worker who is energetic, personable, resourceful, well-organized, with superior interpersonal skills, and excels in a fast-paced, challenging work environment. If that sounds like you, then this is your ideal job!
Reporting directly to the Supervisor, Facility Operations, the Building Maintenance Worker is responsible for pool maintenance, small job repairs, and ensuring equipment at the YMCA Health, Fitness, and Aquatic centre remains in like-new condition in accordance with YMCA standards.
- Ensures cleanliness and chemical balances of pool, through water testing and pool repairs, in accordance with Interior Health regulations.
- Checks the safety of the Health, Fitness, and Aquatics facility daily to support a safe environment for members.
- Completes small repairs such as to treadmills.
- Cleans areas (e.g. sweeping, vacuuming, wet mopping, dusting, emptying garbage), including but not limited to washrooms, showers, lobby, offices.
- Helps with setup and take down of program spaces, special events, and other equipment.
- Delivers exceptional customer service and ensures a safe environment as per YMCA S.A.M. standards and best practices.
- Records and reports on facility issues and concerns to Facility Operations Supervisor.
- Actively participates and promotes philanthropy through YMCA Association initiatives, including the Strong Kids Campaign and other events (e.g. Healthy Kids Day).
- Is accountable for meeting and exceeding facility repairs within the Health, Fitness, and Aquatics centre.
- Ensures specific needs of members and other departments are met.
- Maintains a strong working knowledge of all repair and maintenance procedures and standards.
- Addresses multiple priorities and is flexible to changing focus or direction while working to support member experiences.
- Deals with difficult individuals and unwanted individuals at night and tries to resolve conflicts before referring them.
- Is exposed to chemicals, heavy lifting, heat exposure, elevated work spaces, confined spaces, bodily fluids, and electrical work.
- Physical lifting, climbing ladders, and moving heavy loads at a minimum of 50lbs.
- Experience in housekeeping/ janitorial/cleaning services or a related field – trades experience considered an asset
- Able to communicate effectively through speaking, reading, and writing English
- Occupational First Aid, WHMIS certificate, and Transportation of Dangerous Goods certificate, Pool Operator Level 1 & 2, Confined Spaces training, Asbestos Training are all assets.
- Upon request provide 3 references. A minimum of 2 will be professional in nature (eg. Employer, Supervisor or Colleague)
- A satisfactory Criminal Record Check. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than six (6) months preceding your start date. The YMCA will provide applicable instructions and paperwork
- Commitment to Mission, Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision and values of YMCA of Okanagan.
- Service Attitude: Identifies needs and wants of members/participants as priority and responds in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person's Y experience.
Please apply in writing, with cover letter and resume addressed to:
Doug Pumphrey, Facility Operations Manager
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.